The Ketogenic diet/lifestyle is becoming more popular. Many, including myself, have lost weight and have become healthier following this low-carb way of eating. Keto is a way of eating and can be pretty simple to follow at home and even at some popular restaurants, however, when traveling to Walt Disney World, staying in ketosis can be hard.
Hi, I am Chris, one of the writers here at Florida Sun Adventures. I switched to eating Keto in June of 2019 and as of Christmas 2019, I was able to lose over 100 pounds. We visit Walt Disney World 3-4 times per week, which meant I needed to find a way to eat Keto while at Walt Disney World.
In this article, I am going to write about the way I was able to stay in ketosis while at Disney World most nights.
Tracking Macros for Keto at Walt Disney World
Before we dive into the foods to eat, first, let’s talk macros. The FDA past a federal law in 2018 that requires all restaurants with 20 or more locations to provide nutrition facts for all menu items [21 USC § 321(Q)(5)(H)]. Disney World does not have to comply with this law because each of their restaurants and food locations has a different name (typically themed to the section of park they are in). This makes it nearly impossible to find out the actual nutrition facts of food at Disney World. NOTE: Disney World does offer allergy information for their food, just not nutrition facts.
Since you can’t view the nutrition facts, you will have to use your knowledge of foods and hidden carbs to guess what is safe to eat. If you are on strict keto and must track all macros, your best option will be to eat off property, at a chain restaurant at Disney Springs or bring your own food. If you are able to take a break, doing “lazy” keto is the best way to enjoy your trip to Disney World by sticking to what you know has low carbs.
How to eat Keto at The Magic Kingdom
There are several places to eat keto at The Magic Kingdom, below are some of my favorite options. NOTE: We do not dive too much into restaurants and mostly cover quick-service options.
Pecos Bill (Frontier Land)
Pecos Bill is my favorite place to eat. You can order any entree, just ask to remove any carb-heavy items like beans or rice. Use the toppings bar to load up on keto-friendly toppings such as cheese, sour cream and more. TIP: You can order just a side of meat for $5. Order 2 sides of meat then load them up with toppings from the topping bar to create a keto-friendly Mexican salad.
Caseys Corner (Mainstreet USA)
You can still enjoy a hot dog on keto! Just toss that bun and watch those toppings! Remember, onions are one of those sneaky carbs you want to watch and not too much of. Pick some of the dogs that have keto-friendly toppings.
Turkey Leg (Food Carts & Tortuga Tavern)
We have removed this from the list as the Turkey Legs at Disney World might not be keto-friendly. The brine has brown sugar in them. We are trying to confirm this and will update this article with more information.
Cosmic Ray’s (Tomorrowland)
Cosmic Ray’s has plenty of options available for keto-friendly meals. Here are some of the options:
- Rotisserie Chicken, just skip the Mac & Cheese
- Greek Salad with Chicken
- Any burger or sandwich, remove the bread.
- Pickels, on the toppings bar.
Columbia Harbor House (Liberty Square)
- Lobster Roll, toss the bread.
- Grilled Salmon, substitute the rice. Greenbeans do have carrots so limit those carrots.
- Grilled Shrimp, substitute the rice. Greenbeans do have carrots so limit those carrots.
- Harbour Salad with Chicken, I would skip the melons with this one.
Pinocchio Village Haus
Order the Antipasto Salad. This comes in both a full entree and as a side salad. Perfect for lunch or just a snack.
How to eat Keto at EPCOT Center
Currently, EPCOT is undergoing a lot of changes and several of the quick service restaurants are currently closed.
There are many different festivals at EPCOT. Eating keto at Epcot’s Food and Wine festival as well as their many other festivals can often be difficult. There are many food options available, however, you will need to ask questions to understand what are in each.
Sunshine Seasons (The Land Pavilion)
- Caesar Salad with Oak-fired Chicken. These are made fresh then put into the cooler fridge making them a quick grab and go. You can then pick out your dressing packet, complete with nutritional facts on it.
- Sandwich and strip off the bread, however, there is not a lot of meat so this may not be great.
- Oak-fired Salmon, however, there are not any great keto-friendly sides to go with this.
Sommerfest (Germany Pavilion)
If you pick up a Bratwurst or Frankfurter, just toss the bun and you can enjoy a keto-friendly snack or lunch.
Tangierine Café (Morocco Pavilion)
Shawarma Platters can be keto-friendly if ordered right. The chicken/lamb combo normally comes with flatbread, however, you can normally ask to substitute that for extra garden salad, which has feta cheese and olives in it.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Grilled Chicken BLT, toss the bread and fries.
- Any of the burgers, toss the bread and fries.
- Cobb Salad with Chicken
Flame Tree Barbecue (Discovery Island)
- Smoked chicken, pork, and ribs combo. Just avoid the beans. Coleslaw could be iffy as some recipes do add sugars. Also, the ribs have a barbeque sauce that does have sugars in it. See if you can sub out the ribs for another item.
- Smokehouse chicken salad, remove the apples and croutons.
Harambe Market (Africa)
- Chicken Gyro, remove the naan bread.
- Beef and Lamb Gyro, remove the naan bread.
- Chicken Bowl, ask for no rice and extra salad greens.
Here you will have to build your bowl to be keto-friendly, however, there are some amazing meats. Here is a great article on how to build one good tasting keto bowl at Satu’li.
Eating Keto at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
ABC Commissary (Commissary Lane)
- Mediterranean Salad with Chicken, don’t eat the flatbread.
- Chicken Club, get it with green beans and toss the bun.
- Burgers, toss the bun.
Backlot Express (Echo Lake)
Grab a burger or sandwich here and just toss the bun. There are several different options available. Watch out for any sauces or toppings to make sure they are keto-friendly.
Catalina Eddie’s (Sunset Boulevard)
- Caesar Salad with Chicken, toss the croutons.
PizzaRizzo (Grand Avenue)
- Antipasto Salad
- Side Ceaser Salad
Woody’s Lunch Box
You can get a pack of 3 Mini Babybel® Snack Cheese for just under $4 for a quick snack at this location. Great if you need a keto-friendly snack at Disney’s Hollywood Studios!
Eating Keto at Disney Buffets
Most buffets will have keto-friendly options on them. If the family is looking for a buffet-style meal, you will be able to find meats and salad fixings along the bars. Depending on the buffet, you may find other keto-friendly options as well.
Make sure you use self-control! These buffets are loaded with sugary and carby temptations. Stay away if you do not trust that you will be able to control your self.
Eating Keto at Disney Table Service Restaurants
Because of the ever-changing menu items, I did not cover table service items in this article. Be sure to check the menus on Disney’s website to find keto-friendly table service at Disney World.